In the November edition of The Grove Magazine, Chef and Grove Resident, Melissa Brown, blessed us with her mouthwatering deep-dish pecan pie recipe.
She has always been a romantic and loved the poem “Ode to Autumn” by John Keats which is the inspiration behind this flavorful pie. “The imagery of fall and its “season of mists and mellow fruitfulness” evokes the spirit of fall dishes in my kitchen. The smell of apple pies, and braised dishes warms my soul like my favorite cashmere sweater.”
Melissa’s inspiration was not only from “Ode to Autumn” but also from a wonderful lady from her church that was famous for delivering delicious pecan pies whenever a newborn entered the world. Mrs. Ruby’s Deep Dish Pecan Pie is a vitamin packed, flavor explosion sure to please your southern cravings.
Mrs. Ruby’s Deep Dish Pecan Pie
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups pecan halves
- Deep Dish Pie Crust (already prepared)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together corn syrup, brown sugar, and melted butter.
- Add eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt, and stir well.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour filling into crust
- Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Bake for 2 hours and 15 minutes or until set.
- *Watch for a jiggle in the middle because there will be some carryover baking. If necessary, shield pie with foil to prevent excess browning*
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Nothing says chilly weather comfort food like Mrs. Ruby’s Deep Dish Pecan Pie! This fall-flavored deliciousness is the sweet addition your family needs after a football filled Sunday supper. Thanks, Chef Melissa!